Losing a loved one can be difficult. Your desire to honor a life lived with a traditional funeral or memorial ceremony is a healthy way to offer and receive support from friends and family. Unfortunately, these rite of life passages are currently severely limited due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The additional stress from dealing with a loss during this unprecedented time will likely compound your feelings of grief.
Hollywood Forever Cemetery’s compassionate staff and counsellors are here to help you through this difficult time to the best of our abilities. Our commitment to providing your loved one with a meaningful ceremony has not changed during this global event. However, the Coronavirus pandemic requires that we maintain our commitment to facilitating memorial gatherings while also doing our best to flatten the curve. We have taken great care to ensure the safety of our attendees, staff, clergy and celebrants.
We are dedicated to facilitating your memorial service while reducing the possibility of spreading the virus further. Regardless of the cause of death, if you are arranging a funeral during this health crisis, please know that we are following the recommended guidelines from the World Health Organization (WHO), the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), California Department of Public Health, Los Angeles Health Department, and Los Angeles County Coroner.
Based on these recommendations:
Hollywood Forever is temporarily unable to hold traditional funeral and memorial gatherings.
- We are adjusting our services and number of permitted guests according to the latest directives from the Los Angeles County Health Department and the State of California. These guidelines change often so your funeral director will explain the latest guidance.
We recognize that these limitations will be very difficult for those who are grieving the loss of a loved one, but we ask for your continued patience and understanding during this unfortunate time. We will do our utmost to help you understand the available options for honoring the life of your loved one, while keeping those involved in the process as safe as possible.
Additional considerations are:
- Services will be held at the gravesite or the areas adjacent to the crematory, depending on which burial rite you choose.
- Video attendance (via ZOOM) will be provided for up to one hundred family and friends.
- Social distancing guidelines apply throughout all arrangements and abbreviated services, with six feet of space observed by all parties present.
Expectations For Arranging a Funeral During COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
Hollywood Forever Cemetery is here to help you. Whether you are planning a small, abbreviated service that complies with current restrictions or arranging a larger gathering to take place in the future, please note that we will be taking additional precautions to ensure the safety of all parties involved.
- Our funeral directors may make arrangements with you via phone, video conferencing (ZOOM), and computer.
- For your safety, if you need to drop off clothing for the deceased or any paperwork, you will be required to wash your hands at the stations we have installed throughout the park. Our funeral directors and staff will refrain from shaking hands and will maintain social distancing requirements of at least six feet at all times.
- Our funeral directors will update you about any changes in federal, state and local mandates and recommendations (including those listed above) that may affect your funeral, burial, and cremation arrangements.
If your loved one has passed due to complications from contracting COVID-19, our compassionate and caring funeral directors will take necessary extra precautions while preparing the deceased. If you choose to embalm your beloved, please speak with your funeral director about guidelines Hollywood Forever will be following.
Queries for Your Funeral Director During COVID-19 (Coronavirus)
I’m unable to have the memorial I want during this time. What are my options for the future?
As soon as the above guidelines are lifted, families will have up to one year to schedule insured memorials that have been postponed. We encourage all families to reschedule complete memorial services when they are permitted once more.
Does Hollywood Forever Cemetery provide webcasting services?
Hollywood Forever is able to offer video conferencing via Zoom for graveside and cremation services. The process is easy to follow and attendees will be sent simple instructions. Filming and streaming via Zoom is offered as a complimentary service during these times.
What steps is Hollywood Forever Cemetery taking to limit my exposure to coronavirus (COVID-19)?
Please be aware that essential funeral and cemetery staff will be wearing personal protection equipment including face masks and gloves, in addition to any other personal protective equipment recommended by the World Health Organization (WHO, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) and the National Funeral Directors Association (NFDA). Our interment staff also wear protective clothing and equipment.
My loved one died of coronavirus (COVID-19). Should I be concerned about attending their funeral?
CDC guidelines currently state that “People should consider not touching the body of someone who has died of COVID-19.” However, the center also asserts, “There is currently no known risk associated with being in the same room at a funeral or visitation service with the body of someone who died of COVID-19.”
A funeral director is available to speak with you and answer your questions 24 hours a day.
We are here for you.